Sunday 26 March 2023

Playing around with ChatGPT, my CTO shadow

So, wow - I had put off deeply exploring ChatGPT for sometime until this weekend - after watching the Microsoft Co-pilot launch announcement and later catching up on the conversation with Bill Gates... I wanted to learn more.

In short, like the millions of other people that tested before me, making me quite the laggard... ChatGPT blew my mind!!

I'm still processing - need to consider the implications of this technology. 

Look at my conversation below - it's amazing. I wish I had access to my shadow CTO when I was building the online video streaming platform, so much time could've been saved!! The interaction was conversational, context was maintained even when the chat spanned two days overnight. The thread of the discussion was maintained, ideas could be built on top of previous answers. Take what Microsoft's just launched, and you have a serious disruptor of the workplace happening soon...I posit that life in the workplace would be very different by 2025!!

The future of work is going to change. I can't wait to stop doing drudgery work, what my manager recently called out as "donkey work".  I'd like my virtual personal assistant to reply to emails on my behalf, to provide status updates on projects automatically. Want to check the status of a project? Sure, don't ask me, ask co-pilot! Want to see what the latest performance metrics report is doing? Sure, co-pilot! You want an update on the outage we had last night, sure - co-pilot will summarise the five whys and play out the incident timeline, graph the blast radius and call out the customer impact for you boss, you don't need me to repeat the same (I'm busy fixing issues). You want to check if a project is going off-track, sure, ask co-pilot again. The project manager role is going to change. The software manager role is going to change. I would go as far as saying HR and coaching might fade away...if this ChatGPT technology can comb the entire corpus of psychology, psychiatry and medical knowledge, we can have really good conversations around mental health and well-being, or ask for guidance on handling sensitive relationships at work...we are limited by our imagination, and if that happens, guess what - we can seek inspiration from the AI anyway! 

Wow, it's time to wake up and embrace the power of this tech,

My new best friend, my shadow partner, my confidante ... I can't wait to see how personal assistants leverage this technology, especially when we get close to real-time data & knowledge-streams. 

Anyway, I'm sharing my first deep conversation with ChatGPT below. I started off by wandering about my own options with getting back into deep tech, then veered off into exploring the online video streaming business since I was quite the expert in that field before joining AWS. I wanted to check what responses she (I already given it a gender!) would provide regarding the problems I had to solve as CTO. Just as timely because this month I've been writing much about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment