Wednesday 15 March 2023

How I communicated a CTO's 3 year plan through writing

In my previous post, I shared my method for applying visualisation in simplifying complex technology migration programs, communicating effectively by way of one-piece-of-paper. I also shared how I communicated progress updates for a plan with multiple programs using a simple slide show. Before getting to the stage of summarising complex topics through the powerful, simplifying visual means, one must do the deep work of critical thinking, reflection & reviews. This process usually takes the form of written word which serve as inputs into the visualisation and storytelling stage.

[Disclaimer: I write about my past work experiences, this post dating back to 2017-2020 referring to entities that no long exist today (in 2023). Previous mentions of such entities are widely in the public domain through news media outlets, press briefings, launch announcements, etc. I take time to ensure that nothing I share exposes commercially sensitive material. My intent is to share my learnings and experiences to teach and mentor people on a similar path to me; with the side benefit of showcasing my professional work portfolio to current and future prospective employers, through my writing].

How does deep work happen then? Well, through writing narratives, of course! I love writing. Even before joining Amazon, I was rather Amazonian! As I reviewed the content I produced over my past work experiences, it became clear that what I was doing way back then in 2016-2020, was actually preparing for my future work at Amazon!! Amazon is infamous for its writing culture. Powerpoints be damned! If you aren't able to articulate your thoughts and ideas through writing at Amazon, then you're not going to get much traction!

In this post, I share what I wrote back in 2018, basically reflections that I'd written for an audience consisting of ExCo (Group CTO & CIO members), my senior engineering direct reports as well as some non-technical board members who expressed some curiosity on the learnings from our journey to date, since the massive re-organisation of the business and resetting 2017 strategy (as I shared previously in my experience as CTO in  my first 100 days). 

The situation in 2018 at high level, executive board level: 
In Q1 2017, I was tasked to build the future online video platform (Delta) for the group. By the end of 2017, the group inherited another business unit, bringing its own video platform (Sierra) into the mix. The parent company created a new business unit as a result, consolidating a new operating model, bringing all entities servicing online video customer segments into a single operating business unit. With two different product portfolios, serving different market segments and powered by two different technology stacks, Sierra & Delta. Sierra was borne in the digital world from day-one cloud-native, with Delta having evolved from the traditional broadcast PaytTV world, pre-cloud. So you now have two independent CTOs (separated by continents apart) responsible for two different tech platforms, talk about ambiguity! From a high-level cost accounting perspective, it looks like there's much duplication going on surely!? Simply put: both organisations build apps that consume video, why don't you guys merge into a single platform? :-) 
I thrive in thinking big and looking around corners. I also enjoy solving what seems at first, to be intractable problems. I also love to cooperate and collaborate - always seeking out the best interest for the business in the end, even at the expense of my own career (I was never one for empire building). Setting all personal differences and healthy tech competition aside, I chose to focus on building bridges, looking for reasonable compromises. I also set out to describe the situation in terms that both technical and business stakeholders could understand. So I created this doc, to share my thinking into a 3 year technical strategy would look like, taking into account the learnings from the conversations to date. 

I'm sharing this with my readers as an example of what is expected from a senior engineering leader when it comes to strategic thinking and planning longer term - you have to do the deep work, confront the brutal facts of the current reality and set clear goals and aspirations for a future state. 

Incidentally, the contents of the doc is not so dissimilar to the content one would find in the Amazon Operating Plans (OP1/OP2):

No comments:

Post a Comment