Recap my RAGE Model (Reality, Aspirations, Goals, Expectations) Tracking
|Current Persona Matrix Rankings|
What are the big challenges for me?
- Being a professional, i.e. having a stable income stream is currently a hard reality constraint. I need an income to support my family - so this is something I should not compromise on - but I still need to control it - I should not be overworking, at the expense of my personal life interests. So the data on work hours is important. When I read about pursuing dreams, passions, etc. about breaking out, taking risks, quitting your job etc. the reality around finances, lifestyle and family stability kicks-in - it's not an easy thing to do...this is a hard reality. I have to think of ways to ensure I do my best work, provide the best service to my employer, but not let work over consume me at the expense of my other streams (which as the data shows is not actually happening). Unless I can find a way to create a passive income stream outside of my main job, this constraint is going to be around for a while. The outcome for this year must be to bring my work-hours to a decent level freeing up time to focus on my personal interests.
- It's quite difficult to switch off from the office these days - even whilst at home, social media chats through Slack & WhatsApp are disruptions, that can't be tracked in hours - so whilst in "family mode", I must respond to chats - this time is unaccounted for. If I were to include all these moments as "work", then work-time increases...which is why this topic of "work-life integration" is becoming more mainstream.
- The functions of resting and sleeping for a human being is something that must be respected, and can't be compromised. I maintain an average of 8 hours of sleep per night, so this is a hard constraint. Eight hours has been validated as the ideal, I can go on for a few days with less sleep, but it's not sustainable. This means that the rest of my time must be allocated around this, with Work/Professional consuming a large chunk of this.
- Giving focus to my own personal interests as an individual, outside of being a Husband / Father / Family-Man, etc. seems like I'm sacrificing my own interests, i.e. putting myself last - and this is where the spiritual dimension of being a Muslim comes in to help - it's sometimes a struggle to deal with these frustrations.
2018 Data Insights - Tracking the Time / Hours spent
2018 Persona Hours, focus on Working Hours & Overall Happiness at work
General Happiness & Well-Being at Work
Life in general is good, but my Personal streams are taking a knock
- Reading books - did well enough to track against my goal of 24 books, ended up completing 21 books last year. Not bad.
- Spirituality - tracking very nicely, spent 10 days in seclusion in June, time well spent.
- Me Time - this is time I spend by myself, thinking, exploring or even binge-watching shows ;-)
- Health & Fitness - dismal year. I had some health issues creep up on me last year. Not good.
- Cycling - very little done. According to my Strava logs: 29 days, 47 hours, 585km.
- Blogging - regressed big time - need to do at least one post a month
- Entrepreneur - my ideas still collecting dust. Pathetic, makes me really wonder about this!
Major Outcomes for 2019: Intent
- Get work-hours down to a manageable level, target no more than 170 hours per month
- Continue to build a strong leadership team thus removing me as a bottleneck, focus on strategic outcomes, less operational
- Spread in more leave time, reduce sleepless nights to zero
- Personal - Individual - Entrepreneur
- Spec out my Rage/Personametry product idea and get an MVP done, even if it's manual
- Attend at least 6 Start-Up meet-ups this year
- Personal - Individual - Health
- Improve current fitness state - there should be no 0% activities in a month
- Personal - Life & Family
- Introduce consistency & routine into happiness building activities - at least once a month we should develop a routine around the things we enjoy doing as a family