Thursday 16 March 2023

How I led the turnaround of a tech platform from 1X to ±9X in just 3 years

In a previous post, I shared how I ended up transitioning from a program manager to being the leader of a large engineering organisation as CTO. I then followed up another post sharing my context in this leadership position that was beset with highly volatile, uncertain, complex and unambiguous challenges - the world of online video streaming. A dynamic, tough, competitive space, especially as Africa was only then waking up to the streaming video wars that started in 2015.

[Disclaimer: I write about my past work experiences, this post dating back to 2017-2020 referring to entities that no long exist today (in 2023). Previous mentions of such entities are widely in the public domain through news media outlets, press briefings, launch announcements, etc. I take time to ensure that nothing I share exposes commercially sensitive material. My intent is to share my learnings and experiences to teach and mentor people on a similar path to me; with the side benefit of showcasing my professional work portfolio to current and future prospective employers & head hunters, through my writing].

In my 3.5 years as CTO, I would see the business change executive leadership multiple times - I think by 2020, we'd been through at least six changes in executive leadership (CEO/Exco-heads). This meant that almost every year, I had a new boss, who's strategy shifted to suit their new vision as they aimed to leave their mark on the business goals of an an aggressive growth strategy.

From a CTO perspective, I had to navigate different expectations of these new leaders, who didn't grasp the nature of technology and engineering challenges. Quite often, my team would be compared with the big players like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu - citing the incredible numbers of concurrent users (millions), comparing against our fledgling platform built in Africa, by Africans, for Africans - a platform that emerged not natively online, but an extension of the existing PayTV broadcast ecosystem. Despite whatever truths be valid or not from the engineering perspective, my job as CTO was to manage expectations upwards as best as I could whilst working with my engineering team on the necessary upgrades to scale the platform accordingly.

Once an app is live and already being used daily, with a steady increase in monthly active users - despite technical debt and platform instability - customers expect to receive feature updates and when it comes to consuming video, a stable viewing experience. Add an aggressive marketing and acquisition strategy, my technology team didn't have the luxury to pause, stop and fix things. Business goes and and IT tech folks just have to get on and deliver, smartly.

One of the first things I did with my team, in addition to resetting their mental model - was to create a simple graph of our state - not so dissimilar to Amazon's infamous flywheel. Based on the business growth strategy, the key drivers impacting my technology team pivoted around two fundamental missions: 1\ Increase the number of active users (growth) and 2\ Increase Engagement. So I created this map, as our North Star - that would remain, un-erased on the whiteboard for 3 years since creating. This picture would become my constant reference during my management meetings (reminding my directs and technical leads why we exist, what areas are important) as well as my all-hands updates:

Technology Strategy Map - North Star / Key Focus Areas

A video streaming business is about reaching as many customers as possible, providing engaging content that captivates their users to return and consume more and more content, staying longer on the app, remaining more engaged. The app user experience needs to be seamless, easy, intuitive and on-par with other well known players (ala Netflix). The tech platform then becomes core in providing the experience. What the picture highlights are the key pillars, which became the driving force for our improvement goals. I focused our attention to execute on these and only these: 1\ Product development (software delivery of app features across as many devices and platforms as possible); 2\ Streaming & Networking infrastructure - CDN & cost optimisation; 2\ Platform Scaling challenges (big area of technical debt - transition to AWS cloud); 3\ Platform Intelligence (don't fly blind); 4\ Content Discovery (AI/ML recommenders); 5\ Telco partnerships (we didn't own the full network). Controlling all of this, was technical operations excellence, something I called "Mission Control" - active, preventative and proactive monitoring of the live platform (technical alerting and social media monitoring).

A large part of this challenge was managing cost. Based on the business growth targets, the cost to serve the technology platform per customer had to remain low. In parallel with me turning around not only a distressed platform whilst keeping the integrity of the engineering teams together (because of layoffs and re-org), I had to work on delivering cost-savings whilst armed with my own sizeable budget. We could no longer be operating on a shoestring budget anymore, and at the same time, we couldn't afford to be wasteful - frugality was still top-of-mind. My budget over my tenure would amount to R1.5 billion (±100 million USD) covering people, capital expenditure, and operations expenditure (video streaming businesses is a costly game), aligned to a Buy / Partner strategy instead of Build-your-Own.

As a result of this strategy, my team were able to execute year-on-year, exceeding expectations and turning around what was once a platform on the brink of extinction, rebooting and refreshing in 2017 to deliver a nett ±9X improvement on active users and availability of the platform:

Platform growth over 3 years under my leadership


As a result of this experience, I wrote a white paper that dived quite deep into the technical challenges a CTO in the online video streaming business must not overlook - check it out here.

My engagement as a CTO was timeboxed from the start - I wasn't expecting to work longer than 3 years as I'd set myself the challenge of learning and setting up a leadership succession plan that would continue to lead the team and deliver on the technology transformation strategy I created. At the end of that experience in 2020, just around Covid times, it was clear I needed to reset myself, and after 20+ years career in video technology, I sought a change...and decided to leave the TV world behind.

Looking back, more than two years later, I somewhat miss the thrill of high-stakes leadership, and the intensity of the experience. More so, leading a large group of people (150+), rallying them to raise the bar and turnaround their tech platform (that I had no prior experience in building, nor was I familiar with the code) and also themselves, in trusting me to lead them - and get past their stigma of not trusting a business program manager... 

My next posts will dive deeper into some of the streams on how we got to 9X, covering some hits and also some big misses too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment