Tuesday 6 June 2023

A sample project charter for launching a consumer device end-to-end

In a previous post, I wrote about the importance of the project charter and the various forms it can take. In this post, I will go deeper and share a rather detailed sample of a project charter that I authored for a real-world project that involved launching a new original equipment manufacturer (OEM) consumer device, a digital TV set-top box, called the "DStv Explora" end-to-end. My role was overall program manager. My task was basically - to fix everything and get the project on track to deliver, owning the entire plan, directing and steering multiple businesses, project offices and engineering organisations. My stakeholders were C-suite from at least five firms. The project cost in the region of R2 billion ($200m). 

By end-to-end, I mean all workstreams covering technology innovation & development, satellite infrastructure, device hardware engineering, device software engineering, infrastructure systems & software (including configuring satellites in space), application software development, software testing, end-to-end security, consumer field trials and go-to-market (finance, supply chain, marketing, communications, sales, customer support) launching in 50 countries in Africa, with catering for the unique rules & regulations per country, bespoke marketing & comms plans and at times supporting a different look-and-feel brand per country. I insisted on project charters for each go-to-market stream for significant territories like South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya & Ghana. The structure for the business at that time was rather loose, even though there were centralised project offices co-ordinating major launches, we had to partner with in-country business owners for launch planning. I don't share these business charters here, as they're go-to-market workstreams one can find online (or ask chatGPT).

The Explora project enabled me to make a significant impact on the company, the people and teams I worked with and most importantly, opened up my eyes to my potential as a prominent leader, boosting my confidence. Prior to the Explora, I'd just relocated from the UK, having worked with NDS for the last ten years, building and releasing a variety of TV software services, working in engineering and answerable to a number of customer and account delivery managers, taking instruction from bigger program managers and owning a few core technical workstreams. With Explora, my position was elevated to the highest level, giving me the opportunity I had long sought after, and that is to learn everything there was to know about running and operating a PayTV business. For Explora, I not only enjoyed a birds-eye view of the bigger picture - actually I created the bigger picture for everyone to follow. I was responsible for ensuring engineering teams are set-up for delivery success end-to-end, instigating and driving changes needed to ensure project success. My voice was heard. My opinions were listened to. My advice was heeded. I was granted autonomy once I'd earned the trust of all stakeholders involved (a post for another day). 

As far as I can tell, many of the engineering disciplines I introduced for Explora still remain in place today, 10 years later.  Here are some anecdotes as public endorsements on LinkedIn (so I'm not exaggerating my resume here, check out my LI profile recommendations for additional evidence):


Here's an email from Phil on the interventions I introduced in the last stretch of Explora launch:
Hi Muhammad
This one week cycle you have introduced on Explora is a stroke of genius. We have a lot to thank you for on this project, as you have saved our collective asses several times. I for one, really appreciate the quality and quantity of effort you put into supporting usWhen we make it on the 1st August you should be able to look back on this project with a great deal of satisfaction. MCA is not the easiest place to bring order to, but you can't fault the guys on their commitment to making things happen:)

Have a great weekend my friend!
Regards Phil
Here's a video about the DStv Explora from 2013/14:


The project charter for Explora set the high bar for modelling all future consumer device launches going forward. Following Explora, I would manage the launch of the DStv HD decoder, followed by software updates launching new features like Catch Up Plus for streaming over the internet, incuding remote recordings. I left the consumer device division in 2015, to spend the next year running the program for launching Showmax, a new streaming video platform business, end-to-end from zero to launch in 8 months. With these successful launches behind me, I'd developed enough credibility in the market that further opened up opportunities for consulting, and later on, took me one step closer to reaching my original ambition of having a seat at the business table, the C-suite round table. Once I'd experienced that view, I decided to seek a new venture, risking starting over again (a future post, stay tuned).

Sample Project Charter

[Disclaimer: Please note I write about my past work and have permission to share my work experiences through my blog as was part of my contract with employers over the years. I've waited more than 10 years to share this particular work experience, the technology & business have moved on since then, such that this sharing is rather informational and can be seen as training material for engineering/delivery managers.]

Below is a sample from the project charter I created. It should give you a picture of the work involved in bringing a new consumer device to market, along with all the backend / broadcast headend (including satellites in space) and go-to-market workstreams involved. Some workstreams were programs in their own right, others contained projects - whilst some were for pure technical deliveries.  Not shown, are business go-to-market workstreams. If memory serves me correctly, there were roughly 40-odd workstreams that covered this project end-to-end.  

Given the scope of the project charter, it should be apparent the large-scale nature of such an initiative. Contact me for more details, if you feel you need help navigating a similar endeavour, OR, contact me if you have a proposal you think might be an interesting challenge/opportunity as my next BHAG challenge :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment