One Minute Manager In a Nutshell
Some Powerful Anecdotes
- Plan the goals together and describe them briefly and clearly. Show people what good performance looks like.
- Have people write out each of their goals, with due dates, on a single page.
- Ask them to review their most important goals each day, which takes only a few minutes to do.
- Encourage people to take a minute to look at what they're doing, and see if their behaviour matches their goals.
- If it doesn't, encourage them to re-think what they're doing so they can realise their goals sooner.
One Minute Praisings: Summary
- Praise people as soon as possible.
- Let people know what they did right - be specific.
- Tell people how good you feel about what they did right, and how it helps.
- Pause for a moment to allow people time to feel good about what they've done.
- Encourage them to do more of the same.
- Make it clear you have confidence in them and support their success.
One Minute Re-Directs: Summary
- Re-Direct people as soon as possible.
- Confirm the facts first, and review the mistake together - be specific.
- Express how you feel about the mistake and its impact on results.
- Be quiet for a moment to allow people time to feel concerned about what they've done.
- Remember to let them know that they're better than their mistake, and that you think well of them as a person.
- Remind them that you have confidence and trust in them, and support their success.
- Realize that when the Re-Direct is over, it's over.